Sunday, June 29, 2014

2014.06.28

Day 5

This morning we did the grasse matinee as the French would say. I learnt an expression in Spanish which I think is very similar: el mal del puerco.

For breakfast we had cheese quesadillas, served with pico de gallo (literally rooster beak). Pico is gallo is with tomatoes, chilli, onion, lime juice, and salt. We opened up our quesadillas and filled them with pico de gallo. Also, we had fresh papaya with honey and lime juice. I am a huge fan of honey in general, but I don't think I have tasted honey as good as this. To me, it definitely rivals the delicious Hungarian akac mez.

Pico de gallo


Quesadilla


























After breakfast, and of course once the soccer match was over, we went to visit a friend of my host father in La Magdalena.
During our drive there, we passed through the Tequila region where the agave plant grows, used to produce tequila. The landscape was very beautiful.

We had a lovely lunch, full of meat, including chicken, pork, lamb, and sausage.

Here is a view of the main square in La Magdalena:
My host sister and me

Upon our return to the city, we visited the virgin of Zapopan that is starting her tour. You can see the virgin just below Jesus's feet.
To welcome the virgin, the whole street was decorated in blue and white. It was set up like a fair with rides for children and lots of food vendors. I tasted 3 different types of churros including churros relleno, and bunuelo. I also tasted camote (some kind of fruit in a dark sugar syrup), and sweet tamal (something from corn). It was street food but I did not get sick. 

All in all, this was a full day.

-Cs.

No comments:

Post a Comment